1 large leek
200g pancetta cubes
2 large garlic cloves, crushed/minced
400g mushrooms (a chestnut and small button mix is good), chopped to the size of the smaller button mushrooms
1 chicken stock pot (these Knorr ones http://bit.ly/1P5ZFX9)
200ml double cream
The leaves from 6 sprigs of fresh tarragon, chopped
Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Jus-rol puff pastry in a roll
- Fry the onion and 1 massive leek in lots of olive oil until soft. Then push them to the side of the pan and add the pancetta cubes.
- Add the garlic, and cook for two mins stirring regularly.
- Add the mushrooms and stir through. When they’re beginning to turn golden brown, take the mix out of the pan and set aside. Don’t worry if you miss a few bits. If you have a massive pan, just leave it in, but even my cast iron Le Creuset couldn’t take it all.. you don’t want it too squished or the chicken won’t cook.
- Put the chicken in the pan and cook until it’s just cooked and no longer pink in the middle (test one of the biggest chunks), then add the leek and mushroom mixture back in.
- Mix the stock jelly pot with 400ml boiling water then pour half of that in and bubble it down for a few minutes.
- Add the tarragon, 150ml of the double cream and bubble down again for 4-5 mins, stirring regularly. Add a LOT of freshly ground black pepper, it’ll need it. Taste, and add a pinch of Maldon sea salt, more if needs be. If it’s too rich, adjust with more stock, or just thin it with some hot water. If it’s not rich enough, add more cream.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Roll out your puff pastry until it’s the thickness of a £1 coin. Any thinner and it won’t puff properly and that would be very sad.
- Put a black pie bird/pie funnel/egg cup in the centre of the pie, then lay out the puff pastry on top making sure that it goes over the side of all the edges. I like to leave the excess on, because it’s delicious to pick at.
- If you want, cut out some letters, leaves etc with any leftover pastry. I wrote YOLO and RAHA (the initials of everyone present- Ru, Abi, Andreas and me, Harriet) because I was a bit drunk and thought it was funny.
- Put the pie in the oven for 18-20 mins until golden and puffed.
- Serve with sweet potato mash with a bit of butter and mustard, and green beans.